Exfoliation is a very important step of a complete skincare routine. Regular exfoliation ensures that your skin is clear and free from any dead skin cells, pollution and dirt or makeup residue. By getting rid of all these nasty things, you ensure that the products you use get easily absorbed by the skin.
There are several homemade scrubs that not only get rid of the dead skin cells but also help in the skin whitening. Below we have mentioned top 5 skin whitening homemade scrubs that will get you fairer complexion with regular and proper use.
1. Gram flour– Gram flour has been a favorite of Indian moms when it comes to scrubbing. For ages, Indian women have been using gram flour to improve their beauty. Though gram flour does not possess any skin whitening properties but when combined with other ingredient or used on its own as a scrub, can help in skin whitening. If you want to increase the potency of this ingredient you can also add turmeric or lemon juice to it for the added benefits
- If you want to use gram flour on its own, then all you need is to do is mix the gram flour with just enough water to make a paste and use it to scrub your face and even your body. You can also add a pinch of turmeric for added skin whitening effect. Use this scrub to exfoliate your face and body on a regular basis. This scrub helps you to get rid of the dead skin cells and tanning which often make your complexion appear darker and dull.
- You can also combine it with other skin whitening ingredients such as lemon, yogurt, etc. for quicker results. In that case, you all you need to do is add that particular skin whitening ingredient to the gram flour and then add the required amount of water to make the scrub.
2. Oatmeal– Oatmeal too doesn’t really have skin whitening properties on its own but then it is an amazing exfoliator which can help you get rid of the accumulated dead skin cells and clogged pores. The oats absorb the impurities and the dirt from the skin. If you have sensitive skin, then this one is perfect for you as it is very gentle on the skin.
- Just like the gram flour, you can use the oats on its own as a scrub. For using oats on their own, all you need to do is soak 1 tbsp. oats in 3 tbsp. warm water. Once the oats are well soaked and softened, massage your face with the oats in a circular motion for 1-2 minutes and then wash your face with warm water followed by cold water to close water. You can also add lemon juice or tomato pulp to the oats for the added benefits.
3. Baking soda– Baking soda is one of the best scrubs if you have sensitive skin as the particles of the baking soda are very mild and small which is perfect for people with sensitive skin. The baking soda works just as a microdermabrasion, getting rid of all the dirt, pollution and dead skin cells.
- You can use baking soda in different ways in order to get a bright and fairer complexion. You can use it mixed with some water. Combine 1 tsp. of baking soda with enough water to make a paste. Use this paste to scrub your face in round circular motion for 2-3 minutes and then wash your face with plain water. You can also mix it with your daily cleanser or face wash too.
4. Sugar and lemon- This scrub have a lot of skin whitening benefits as both sugar and lemon has some skin whitening properties. Apart from being a natural exfoliator it also glycolic acid which helps to even out the skin tone, unclog the pores and helps in improving the texture of the skin. While the lemons are an amazing source of vitamin C which helps in lightening the dark skin and fade way the dark spots.
- In order to make the lemon and sugar scrub you need to combine 1 tsp. castor sugar with enough lemon juice to get a scrub like consistency. Once you have achieved that consistency use the lemon and sugar mixture to scrub your face and neck in gentle circular motion. Scrub your face for 2-3 minutes and then wash your face with plain water. Repeat this remedy 3 times a week in order to get results.
5. Rice powder and honey scrub– Rice has been used by the Asian women a lot for maintaining their porcelain complexion. The reason behind it is that the rice contains a high amount of PABA (para amino benzoic acid) which protects your skin from the sun. Rice also has ferulic acid which is an antioxidant and allantoin which add anti-inflammatory properties to it. When the rice powder is combined with the honey it acts as the perfect skin whitening scrub.
- Grind 2-3 tbsp. rice and keep it in a bowl.
- Now add some honey to the rice powder to make a paste. You can add a few drops of water if you think that the scrub is very thick.
- Massage your face and neck with this scrub gently for a minute or two and then wash it off with water.
- Use this scrub twice a week for visible results.