PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome has become a common issue among women these days. Most of the women who are diagnosed with PCOS take medications, incorporate lifestyle changes and include fitness routines just to keep the symptoms under control. But there is a whole array of natural home remedies available for it too and most of them are already available in your kitchen pantry at this very moment. Let me enlighten you.
1. Fenugreek- Women who are diagnosed with PCOS, the insulin secreted by their pancreas often does not get utilized by the tissues leading to obesity and increases testosterone production. Consumption of fenugreek leaves or seeds helps in maintaining the insulin level to normal. Methi or fenugreek improves the glucose tolerance of the body, which aids in weight loss. Soak 1 tbsp. methi seeds overnight in a glass of water- drink this methi soaked water as first thing on an empty stomach in the morning. Eating cooked methi leaves also have the same benefits.
Image Source: ytimg
2. Flaxseeds- Flaxseeds are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, fibre, omega 6 fatty acids and lignans, a protein that reduces the quantity of testosterone in our body. Flaxseeds aid in the utilization of glucose in the body, hence canceling out all the possible side effects of PCOS. You can either add ground flax seeds to your food such as your breakfast smoothie or cereal or eat them as a snack, but make sure to chew them well.
Image Source: indianexpress
3. Cinnamon- This spice is extensively used as a condiment in several food recipes and desserts for its spicy and earthy taste. Though doctors suggest it to those women who are dealing with PCOS. This particular condiment has proven benefits in curing type 2 diabetes. It also aids in stabilizing the blood sugar level of the body and also inhibits insulin resistance. Research has also proven that this spice also increases the odd of conceiving. You can add cinnamon to your breakfast cereal, milkshakes, yogurt, cakes, and muffin or even in your tea. Cinnamon also helps in losing weight as it also improves the metabolism of the body.
Image Source: wordpress
4. Gooseberry or Amla- Gooseberry or amla has a very high content of Vitamin C in it and is a great food item to incorporate into your diet if you are dealing with PCOS. Amla helps in regulating the blood sugar levels and also improve fertility. It also cleanses the system and flushes out all the toxins out of the body. You can either eat the fruit directly or extract the juice and drink it after diluting it with water.
Image Source: blogspot
5. Tulsi- Women dealing with PCOS have excessive facial hair growth as well as acne. The reason behind it being that since the ovulation process does not take place, the androgens do not get utilized. Also, the SHBG protein secreted by the liver is very low. Tulsi or holy basil is known to control the production of androgens and regulate the insulin levels. It is also rich in antioxidants. Chew 10-12 tulsi leaves in the morning before having breakfast or you can also boil the leaves in water and drink like a hot drink.
Image Source: healthbenefitsofeating
6. Bitter gourd and ivy gourd- People suffering from diabetes are prescribed to include these two vegetables in their diet to bring the insulin and glucose level under check. The vegetable, as well as the leaves of these, can be consumed to fight PCOS. Try to incorporate these vegetables into your daily diet in order to reap their benefits. You can also extract the juice of these and drink it daily.
Image Source: stylecraze
7. Honey- PCOS and obesity go hand in hand. PCOS can mess up the hormones in the body big time and may often lead to obesity. If proper attention is not paid in the beginning it may also lead to more serious health conditions such as arthritis and heart diseases. What honey does is that it reduces your hunger and keeps you fuller for longer. Women who are dealing with PCOS must drink warm water with lemon and honey first thing in the morning. This remedy will help you lose weight in no time. But make sure to have this concoction early in the morning.