Sight is one of the most important of the five senses that we have and in order to maintain the quality of our sight we have to take good care of our eyes. Reduced eyesight may cause disturbances in your life and causes unnecessary hassle. In this article, we are going to share with you some of the tips which can help you in maintaining your eyesight.
1. Look out for your history- The chances of getting a disease or health-related issue is more in people who’ve had a history of that disease or heath issue in their family. Same goes for the eyes as well. If you’ve had an eye related issue running through your family, then there are higher chances of you developing the same problem. In such a case it is better to be cautious from the very beginning and getting tests and eye exams on a regular basis in order to be safe.
Image Source: canada
2. Get checked for high blood pressure and diabetes- If these diseases are left unchecked or untreated they may further lead to eye related problems. High blood pressure and diabetes may lead to vision impairment due to macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and eye strokes.
Image Source: buset-online
3. Keep an eye on the warning signs- If you are experiencing changes in your vision make sure to see an ophthalmologist immediately. Some common signs are a hazy vision, double vision and strain on eyes when trying to read something in low light. Other important signs that you should never ignore include frequent flashes of light, red eyes, floaters, swelling and pain in the eyes.
Image Source: healthtap
4. Exercise- Like all the muscles in the body eyes too need a workout in order to grow and stay strong. Practice eye exercises to ensure that your vision doesn’t get affected adversely.
Image Source: newzoogle
5. Consume a healthy diet- Various studies have proved that antioxidants can to an extent reduces the risk of cataract. You can get these antioxidants by eating food items that are rich in the same. Fruits and dark green leafy vegetables are a great way to get your dose of antioxidants. Studies have also proved that consuming fishes which have a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids as this may reduce the development of macular degeneration. Also, try to include eye vitamins to supplement your diet and in order to get the sufficient number of nutrients to keep your eyes healthy.
Image Source: opticacallau
6. Protect eyes from UV rays- UV rays not only harm your skin but can also damage your eyes too. When heading out in the sun make sure that you are wearing a pair of sunglasses that would provide you with 100% protection against the harmful rays of the sun. Do not get those cheap sunglasses as they do not provide any protection from the sun. Invest in a good pair which will provide sun protection.
Image Source: wp
7. Get an eye check- up twice a year- Get a comprehensive eye exam done along with dilating your pupils in order to determine the risk of a major eye disease, diabetic retinopathy which shows no early signs and symptoms. A regular eye check-up also ensures that your prescription glasses or contact lenses is also up to date and not outdated.
Image Source: ottawacitizen
8. Do not smoke- Smoking, in general, is not at all good for your health. When talking about eye care people who smoke are at a higher risk of developing a cataract, age-related macular degeneration as well as other eye problems.