Butter chicken is one recipe that doesn’t even need an introduction as almost everyone is very familiar with this one. It doesn’t matter if you are a vegetarian or non-vegetarian you must have heard about this epic recipe which is famous all over the world. Though traditionally the butter chicken comprises of chicken that has been roasted in the tandoor. But in this recipe, I will tell you how you can prepare restaurant-style butter chicken at home without the tandoor. So without any further due let’s get started with the recipe.
Also Read: Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Chicken- 450 grams
- Red chilli powder- ¾ tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp.
- Salt- as per taste
- Curd- 2 tbsp.
- Garam masala- ¾ tsp.
- Turmeric- 1/8 tsp.
- For the gravy:
- Butter- 1 tbsp. + 1 ½ tbsp.
- Onion- 3, medium sized (chopped)
- Tomatoes- 3, large (deseeded and chopped)
- Salt- as per taste
- Cashews- 10-12 (whole)
- Garam masala- ½ tsp.
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- ¾ tsp.
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp.
- Sugar- ½ tsp.
- Bay leaf- 1
- Green cardamom- 3
- Cinnamon stick- 1-inch stick
- Ginger garlic paste- ½ tsp.
- Kasuri methi- ½ tsp.
- Cream- 3 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under the heading “marinade” in a bowl and keep it in the refrigerator overnight to marinate.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp. butter to it. Add the chopped onions and sauté the onions until they are golden in colour.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and sauté them.
- Now add the cashews, coriander powder, red chilli powder and the garam masala. Cook for half a minute. Turn off the flame and let this mixture cool down. Blend the mixture with 1 cup water in a grinder to yield a smooth paste.
- Now heat the remaining 1 ½ tbsp. Butter in a pan and sauté the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw aroma fades away.
- Now add the chicken to pan and cook it on a medium flame.
- Pour the onion tomato puree over the chicken and stir.
- Add in salt, sugar, water and other seasonings as required.
- Cook the chicken until soft and tender.
- Add the crushed kasuri methi and cream and stir well.
- Garnish the butter chicken with fresh chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the butter chicken with naan, butter roti or jeera rice.
Image Source: ytimg
Also Read: How to Make: Tasty Chicken Lollipop