Though monsoon brings a lot of relief from the scorching sun, it also brings along several health related issues such as cold and flu. Young kids especially fall prey to the infections which are very common during this season. This often happens because of the lack of immunity. But luckily there are a lot of food items which can help greatly in improving the immunity thus preventing infections.
1. Soups- Soups are very healthy in general. Remember how doctors recommend having soups when you are sick? That is because soups are easy to digest and are loaded with the goodness of vegetables or meat if you have added any. But soups should be homemade and not the store bought ones as those are loaded with sodium, thickeners and preservatives. Boil the vegetables or meat in the broth for a good amount of time. Add some additional ingredients such as black peppercorns, ginger, garlic and onions for the added taste and benefits.
Image Source: sndimg
2. Eat seasonal Fruits- It is always best to include seasonal fruits and vegetables in your diet in order to keep yourself protected from the humid weather and the infections which are extremely common during this weather. Monsoon fruits such as plums, jamun and cherries are loaded with antioxidants which help in improving the immunity and keeping cold and fever at bay.
Image Source: kidsfoodfestival
3. Snack on Nuts- Dry fruits and nuts are also a great addition to your diet in order to build your immunity. Nuts being a rich source of good fatty acids, proteins and antioxidants such as selenium, vitamin B complex, carotenoids and concentrated source of energy thus making them the perfect food for fighting the infection causing bacteria. Plus, all these nutrients also help in promoting healthy growth in children.
Image Source: wikimedia
4. Turmeric milk- Turmeric milk is nothing new for Indians. For ages, our mothers and grandmothers have been treating minor infections, cold and even pains and injuries with this magic potion. Well, the secret lies in the turmeric. Turmeric has a compound called curcumin which is an antioxidant and helps in building immunity. So if your child is suffering from minor cold or infection or not, make him drink a glass of warm turmeric milk before going to bed. This will also aid in better sleep.
Image Source: archanaskitchen
5. Honey and Ginger- Honey and ginger juice combined together is an amazing recipe to treat the common cold and sore throat. Ginger has antiviral and antibacterial properties which help in treating the infection. Honey too has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help in treating the infection very soon. Apart from that, the honey coats the throat thus providing a soothing feeling.
Image Source: blogspot
6. Tulsi Tea- Tulsi leaves have naturally occurring antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which help in building the immunity. Drinking tulsi tea on a daily basis helps in keeping your immunity strong.