Pink and plump lips are what every girl wants. Pink and naturally flushed lips not just add to your beauty but also reveals a lot about your health. Often dark lips are associated with poor health and grooming.
What lead to dark lips?
There are several factors which may lead to dark lips or lip discolouration, such as smoking, iron deficiency, certain medicines, dermatitis, overexposure to the sun, etc. this makes you look older.
• Smoking- People who smoke regularly have a greyish-black hue on their lips along with the wrinkles and fine lines. Smoking restricts the blood vessels which then reduces the blood flow as well as the oxygen supply to the face along with the lips. The smoke from the cigarette that contains nicotine, carbon monoxide and tar stain the lips. The smoke also reduces the absorption of iron in the body, reduces the level of haemoglobin thus making the lips look dark and dull.
Image Source: newhealthguide
• Dryness- People who breathe through their mouth often have dry and chapped lips. In order to look healthy, your lips need ample amount of moisture or else they start to look dull and colourless. Sensitive and dry lips are more prone to irritation which may then lead to pigment deposition resulting in dark lips.
Image Source: waytoenliven
• Sun exposure- You are very much aware of the fact that sun exposure causes skin discolouration. But apart from that exposure to sun may also lead to lip discoloration as well.
Image Source: hirabeautytips
• Dermatitis- Lip dermatitis may occur due to some allergy or from the ingredients used in your lipsticks, lip balms, etc. also people who tend to lick their lips a lot may develop this problem which may then lead to lip discoloration or dark lips.
Image Source: iacpublishinglabs
• Genetics- Your genes may also be the reason for your dark lips.
Simple ways to protect your lips-
• Using a lip balm- Using a lip balm with the added SPF protection can prevent the darkening of lips by sun exposure. Applying a lip balm before putting on your lipstick also creates a barrier between your lips and the lipstick thus preventing the lipstick from staining the lips.
Image Source: theimpactnews
• Regular scrubbing- Just as your face the lips too need to be exfoliated on a regular basis. The layer of dead skin cells and the lip colours make your lips appear darker and dull in colour. Thus it is advisable to scrub your lips at least twice a week in order to get rid of the accumulated gunk. You can make a lip scrub for yourself just by combining some sugar and honey or sugar and Vaseline.
Image Source: livemans
• Detoxify- The best way to heal and enhance your appearance is by detoxifying your body and the best way to detoxify your body is by eating food items rich in vitamin C and iron. Also, drink lots of water in order to keep your body and lips hydrated.
Image Source: fooyoh
There are several other ways which can help in restoring the moisture content of the lips thus making them look younger and fuller. These treatments often include exfoliation and skin lightening by using glycolic acid peels, lasers or hyaluronic acid fillers to make the lips appear more flushed and healthy.