Idli upma is a great recipe to try if you have leftover idlis in your refrigerator and you want to make a new recipe out of it. This one is a 15-minute recipe and can be modified in various ways. Though in this recipe I haven’t added any vegetables, but you can add them if you want to. Carrots, capsicum, beans, etc. can be added to make it more filling. You can also add tomatoes to the recipe and convert it into a tomato idli upma as well. You can serve the idli upma with a drizzle of lemon juice or with homemade coconut chutney.
Here is a step by step recipe of the same.
Also Read: How to Make: Palak Idli
- Idli- 5-6, crumbled
- Oil- 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp.
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp.
- Urad dal- ½ tsp.
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Ginger- ½ tsp. finely chopped
- Green chilli- 1, finely chopped
- Dried red chilli- 1
- Onion- ¼ cup (Chopped)
- Salt- as per taste
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp. (Chopped)
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Then add the split urad dal and the cumin seeds. Roast until the dal turns golden.
- Now add the chopped green chilli, broken red chilli, chopped ginger and the curry leaves. Mix all the ingredients.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until the onion is light golden in colour.
- Now add the idli crumble along with some salt.
- Mix everything really well and cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Lastly, add the chopped coriander and give it a mix.
- Serve the idli upma hot or warm.
Also Read: Tomato Upma Recipe