Matar paneer is a typical north Indian curry based recipe. You can find it on the menu of almost every restaurant serving north Indian food. As the name suggests it has matar or green peas and paneer (cottage cheese) as the main ingredients, cooked in a tomato and onion based gravy. It is a perfect party recipe or if you want to eat something fancy. You can serve it with roti, naan, paratha, rice or even poori.
So without any further due let’s get started with the recipe.
Also Read: Paneer Makhani Recipe
Paneer- 1 ½ cup
Green peas- ½ cup
Ginger garlic paste- 1 ½ tsp.
Butter- 1 tbsp.
Onion- 1 cup (Chopped)
Tomato- 1 ½ cup (chopped)
Green chilli- 1
Green cardamom- 2
Cumin- ½ tsp.
Bay leaf- 1
Cinnamon stick- ½ inch stick
Kashmiri red chilli powder- ½ tsp.
Coriander powder- 2 tsp.
Garam masala- 1 tsp.
Salt- as per taste
Kasuri methi- ½ tsp.
Cream- ¼ cup
Coriander- 1 tbsp. (Chopped)
1. Add the tomatoes, onions, cashew and chilli to a grinder and grind it to get a smooth puree.
2. In a kadhai heat the butter and add the cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves. Sauté the spices for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Now add the ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw aroma fades away.
4. Add the puree that you made earlier and mix well. Cook the puree until almost all the moisture has evaporated and the masala has come together. You can tell it when it cooked.
5. Now add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté the spices for 2 minutes.
6. Add the green peas along with 1 ½ cup water. Cook until the peas are soft and the gravy has thickened.
7. Now add the paneer and the kasuri methi. Simmer the paneer in the gravy for a couple of minutes.
8. Now turn off the flame and add the cream to it. This will prevent the cream from curdling.
9. Mix the cream well with the gravy and your restaurant style matar paneer is ready.
10. Serve the matar paneer hot with butter naan, roti or jeera rice.
Also Read: Paneer Do Pyaza Recipe