This one is a Punjabi dhaba style recipe. Unlike other cooked vegetable (sabzi) recipes, this one is cooked on a tawa. While making the recipe you have to continuously scrape the paneer and vegetables from the bottom of the utensil and thus the word khurchan (to scrape) is added to the name of this recipe. Here is a step by step recipe of the same.
Also Read: Matar Paneer Recipe
- Paneer- 250 grams (cubed)
- Onion- 2, medium (sliced)
- Tomato- 1, large (Chopped)
- Capsicum- 1, large (Chopped)
- Ginger- 1 inch (crushed)
- Green chilli- 1-2 (slit)
- Asafoetida/hing- a pinch
- Garam masala- ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp.
- Red chilli powder- ½ tsp.
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp.
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp.
- Kasuri methi- ½ tsp.
- Cream- 1 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp.
- Oil- 1 ½ tsp.
- Salt- as per taste
- Heat oil in a medium sized iron tawa or pan. Add the sliced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and capsicum. Mix and saute the vegetables on a low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, salt and asafoetida. Mix the spices with the vegetables.
- Now add the ginger and the green chilli-
- Add the paneer cubes and mix well.
- Turn the flame to high and start sautéing the vegetables and paneer cubes. Spread the paneer evenly so that each cube gets cooked evenly.
- Let them cook on one side and then gently scrape the paneer and vegetables and turn over. Now let the paneer get cooked from this side as well. let the paneer get browned a bit.
- Repeat this process a few times, but not too much or the paneer will harden.
- When you think that the paneer is cooked and the masala starts to stick to the tawa, it is time to add the cream.
- Lastly, add the kasuri methi and the chopped coriander leaves. Stir well.
- Turn off the flame.
- Serve the paneer khurchan with roti, paratha, butter naan or even bread.
Image Source: vegrecipesofindia
Also Read: Palak paneer bhurji recipe