The tomato biryani recipe that I am going to share with you today is a very simplified and mild version of the actual biryani. This does not involve the layering process or the cooking the biryani on dum. But even after that, this one does not lag behind even slightly in terms of texture or taste. The spices are exactly the same as we use normally in the biryani just the process is a little different. It is more of an instant biryani.
So without any further due let’s get started with the recipe.
Also Read: How to Make: Mutton Dum Biryani
- Rice- 1 cup (basmati rice or any rice of your choice)
- Tomatoes- 2, large (pureed)
- Oil- 2 tbsp.
- Onion- 1, small (Chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp.
- Green chilli- 1 (chopped)
- Fresh coriander- 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- Mint leaves- 1 tbsp. (Chopped)
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp.
- Red chilli powder- ¼ tsp.
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp.
- Garam masala- ¼ tsp.
- Cinnamon/dalchini- 1.5 inch
- Green cardamom/elaichi- 3
- Cloves/laung- 3
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp.
- Fennel/saunf- ½
- Mace/javitri- 1-2
- Potato- 1, medium (diced)
- Green peas- 1/3 cup
- Coconut milk- ½ cup
- Water- 1 ½ cup
- Salt- as per taste
- Rinse the rice with water 2-3 times and then soak it in the water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain the water from the rice and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pot or pressure cooker heat the oil.
- Add the whole spices to the pot and cook them until fragrant.
- Now add the chopped onions and cook them until they get golden.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the rawness is gone.
- Add the green chilli, coriander and mint leaves.
- Add the tomato puree to the spice and onion mix. Mix really well.
- Now start adding the ground spices. add the turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and the garam masala. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- now add the cubed potatoes and the green peas.
- Add the rice and mix the rice really well with the tomato masala.
- Sauté the rice for 3-4 minutes and then pour in the water. Add the coconut milk as well.
- Add the salt as per taste and mix.
- Cover the pot with a fitted lid and let the biryani cook on slow flame for 17-20 minutes. By this time the rice will be cooked and the water will be absorbed.
- Remove the lid and lightly run a fork in the rice to fluff it up.
- Serve the tomato biryani with raita and pickles.
Image Source: blogspot
Also Read: How to Make: Nawabi Pulao