This one is a vegetarian take on the authentic shammi kabab which made with minced meat, spices and lentils. The vegetarian version is made with black chickpeas and spices, and obviously the texture and the taste is completely different. It is a great starter/appetizer recipe to try as it is fairly easy to prepare.
Here is a step by step recipe of the same.
Also Read: Veg Seekh Kebab Recipe
- Black chickpeas- 1 cup
- Onion- 1, medium sized (finely chopped)
- Mint leaves- 1 tbsp. (Chopped)
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp.
- Red chilli powder- ½ tsp.
- Green chilli- 1, finely chopped
- Ginger paste- ½ tbsp.
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp.
- Gram flour/besan- 2 tbsp.
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- for cooking
- Soak the black gram overnight or for 6-7 hours.
- Drain eth excess water from the gram. Transfer the gram to a pressure cooker with enough water and salt until they are soft and cooked thoroughly.
- Once the pressure subsides, remove the lid. drain the excess water from the chickpeas and transfer them to a bowl.
- Take a wooden spoon and mash the chickpeas coarsely. You can also use or hands or a blender to do the same.
- Add all the ingredients to this mash and mix really well.
- Take small amount of this mixture in your hand and give it the shape of a kabab. Prepare all the kababs in a similar manner.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying the kababs.
- Put the kababs in medium hot oil and fry until golden brown and crisp from the outside.
- Flip the kababs and cook from the other side as well.
- You can also bake the kebabs in the oven if you want to.
- Serve the veg shammi kababs hot with onion rings, lemon wedges and mint curd chutney.
Image Source: blogspot
Also Read: Veg Wrap Recipe