In India, the majority of the population has a dusky or dark complexion. But even after that, ours is one nation that is obsessed with fair complexion. We see fair complexion as a symbol of beauty, superiority and stature. We have this obsession so deep rooted that people who have dusky complexion are made to believe that this is not how they are supposed to look and that is why they tend to indulge in all sorts of treatments and procedures to get the ‘fair skin’. But instead of doing all this we should just embrace what god has given us. Fair or dusky, you are beautiful in your own way and that’s what makes you unique and one of a kind.
1. No tanning- If you are a dusky girl then you must have noticed your fairer female friends weeping or stressing over the fact that they have tanned a lot because of spending a lot of time in the sun. while on the other hand, you don’t really have to be worried about the same. Dusky skin doesn’t really tan the reason behind it being that dusky skin has a higher amount of melanin which protects the skin from the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Image Source: idiva
2. No painful sunburns- If you have pale or fair skin then you are more likely to get sunburns in the summers when the sun is very unforgiving. On the other hand, women with dusky complexion will hardly get sunburns even after spending hours in the sun. The reason being the same as mentioned in the point above. Since the melanin content in dusky complexion is much more as compared to the fair skinned people, their skin is not prone to sunburns. But in some cases, even people with dusky complexion may get sunburned.
Image Source: idiva
3. The chances of skin cancer are less- You may or may not believe this but this is very much true that people with fair skin are more likely to develop skin cancer as compared to the people who have dusky complexion. According to researches, it has been proven that the layer of melanin protects the skin from the harmful rays of the sun and as we know that the amount of melanin found in dusky complexion is much more than the fairer complexion. This protective layer of melanin protects the skin from the sun thus reducing the chances of developing skin cancer to a great extent.
Image Source: vervemagazine
4. Signs of ageing doesn’t show up- One of the main reasons for premature ageing is sun damage. But with dusky skin, the damage caused by the sun is very less as compared to fair skin. Thus, the signs of ageing don’t really show up early on the skin.
Image Source: cloudfront
5. Dusky complexion is sexy- Young girls and women, in general, take most of their inspiration from the Bollywood divas. The way they dress up, the way they do their makeup, etc. Have you noticed that most of the top actresses of the b-town have a dusky complexion? From Priyanka Chopra to Deepika Padukone to Sonam Kapoor, none of them are fair complexioned. These girls are rocking their dusky complexion with great confidence and panache. If they don’t care, then why should you? Dusky complexion is sexy and all you need is confidence to carry it.