Methi and mutter is a fool-proof combination in food. Their flavours go very well with each other. A spicy gravy along with the methi and matar can take this dish to a whole new level. The ground masala with tangy tomato puree will make a sumptuous methi matar malai, too hard to resist.
Image Source: nandyala
Serve it hot with chapatti or rice, it will take you straight away to the authentic culinary culture of Punjab. To make the preparations, you need 20 minutes of time and the dish takes another 15 minutes to complete. Note down the ingredients for the dish.
Also Read: Methi paratha recipe
- 2 cups of fenugreek leaves
- 3/4th cup green peas boiled
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup fresh tomato puree
- 1 1/4th cup milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh cream
Grind the following ingredients into a smooth paste
- 1/4th cup chopped onions
- 4 green chillies
- Ginger one inch
- 3 garlic pods
- 1 tbsp. cashewnuts broken
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- For the Dry Masala Powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
How to Prepare Methi Matar Malai?
- Wash the fenugreek leaves properly and sprinkle some salt on it. Keep it aside for few minutes. Squeeze the water.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a non-stick kadhai and roast the cumin seeds.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and sauté it on a medium flame for a minute. Take the leaves out and keep it aside.
- Add some more oil to the same kadhai and add the chopped onions. Sauté it on the medium flame for 2 minutes till they are translucent.
- Add the paste prepared above to the kadhai and sauté it for a minute while stirring it.
- Add the tomato puree and the dry masala powder. Mix them well and cook it on the medium flame for few minutes.
- Now add the green peas, the sautéed fenugreek in the above steps, milk, sugar, salt, cream and 2 tbsp. of water to the kadhai. Cook it on 2 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- When the curry becomes thick, turn off the gas.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Serve it hot with naan or jeera rice.