The mixed sprouts curry or the usal as it is known in Maharashtra is a typical Maharashtrian breakfast recipe. It comprises of a spicy curry made from mixed sprouts and is usually served in breakfast with pav. In Mumbai, you can get these mixed sprouts in the market but otherwise, you can also combine these on your own. Mix equal amounts of moong, matki, rajma, chawli, whole masoor, white chana and brown chana. It is also one of the healthiest and tastiest breakfast item you can ever make. Here is a step by step recipe of the mixed sprouts curry or usal.
Also Read: Masala Pav Recipe (Mumbai Style)
- Mixed sprouts- 1 ½ cup
- Water- 2 cups + 1 cup
- Oil- 1 ½ tbsp.
- Garlic- 7-8 cloves (sliced or chopped)
- Onion- ½ cup (Chopped)
- Tomato- 1/3 cup
- Green chilli- 1 tsp. (chopped)
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp.
- Garam masala- 1 ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida/hing- 1/8 tsp.
- Turmeric- ¼ tsp.
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- Salt- as per taste
- For garnish:
- Onion- 1, medium (finely chopped)
- Lemon- 1, wedged
- Rinse the mixed sprouts with water really well. transfer the washed sprouts to a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and cook the sprouts for 3-4 whistles or until they are completely cooked.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add garlic to it. Cook the garlic on a low flame until the raw aroma fades away.
- Now add the chopped onion and cook until golden brown in colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chillies. Mix well.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric, garam masala and asafoetida. Mix the spices well and cook the onion tomato masala on a low flame until it is cooked and starts to leave oil on the sides.
- Add the cooked sprouts along with the cooking stock. Add 1 more cup of water.
- Add salt and stir.
- Bring the curry to a boil and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves and cover with a lid. simmer the curry for another 5-7 minute on a low flame.
- Turn off the flame and remove the lid.
- Garnish with chopped onion and a lemon wedge.
- Serve the mixed sprouts curry hot with pav, bread or roti.
Image Source: ytimg
Also Read: Batata Vada Recipe