Matar chaat is a quite famous street food of Delhi. It is a spicy semi-gravy dish made of dried peas and is garnished with chopped raw onions, ginger, tomatoes, green chili, and coriander leaves. It is mouth-watering street food, which I’m sure, you won’t resist having again once you’ve tasted this! This is usually served with Kulcha or Parantha. You can rustle up it at home too easily.
Here’s a tangy Matar chaat recipe, check it out below:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
To Cook Matar In Pressure Cooker
Image Source: foodtippr
• Dry White Peas Or Matar- 1 Cup
• Water- 1.5 Cups
• Salt-1 tbsp or to taste
To Make Tamarind Water
Image Source: pvmishra
• Warm Water-1/3 Cup
• Tamarind Paste- 1 tbsp
For Matar Chaat
Image Source: blogspot
• Tomatoes- ¼ Cup
• Ginger -1 Inch (Julienned)
• Coriander Leaves- 5 Tbsp
• Chaat Masala – ½ Tsp
• Finely Chopped Onions – ? Cup
• Green Chillies – 3
• Kala Namak / Black Salt – 2 Tsp
• Lemon -Juice – 1.5 Tbsp
• Roasted Cumin Powder – 3 Tsp
• Red Chilli Powder – ½ Tsp
Also Read: Chaat Special: How to Make Papri Chaat at Home
Now, How To Make: Matar Chaat Recipe:
Image Source: wordpress
• First, you have to soak matar or dry white peas in 3-4 cups of water for about 7-8 hours or overnight.
• Then, wash the soaked matar and in a pressure cooker add water, salt, and matar and cook for 4-5 whistles if you’re using the big cooker.
• After that, let the pressure cooker depressurize on its own.
• Now open the lid and ensure that your matar are cooked. You can also mash some matar to make the chaat thick.
• For tamarind water, add some tamarind to warm water and mix it well till the color of water changes.
• After mixing and mashing the tamarind, now strain the water.
• Now, take the boiled matar in a big bowl and add some finely chopped onion, green chilies, tomatoes, black salt, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, chaat masala, lemon juice and 3 tbsp of tamarind water.
• After adding all the ingredients, mix everything properly while mashing some peas and serve it with Kulcha or Parantha! You can have it on its own too. Add crunch garnishing it with sev.
# You can switch the ingredients according to your like and dislike.
Matar chaat is a fast fix recipe, which you can give a try at home! How it went, don’t forget to share your experience of preparing and eating it!