The list of best summer destinations in India is incomplete without the discussion of trio of Pahalgam, Srinagar and Gulmarg in Kashmir Valley. These three luxuriant paradises give serene retreat and amazing nature and walks sightseeing activities.
Major Tourist Attractions
- Gulmarg– This place is famous for its incredible natural beauty and is surrounded by dense forest. Its popular due to its beautiful highland golf course and golf hikes.
- Vaishno Devi– The town of Katra (close to Jammu) includes the holy cave shrine of Vaishno Devi, the mother goddess.
- Sonmarg– It is situated at an altitude of about 2730 meters from sea level and the best part is that it includes snow-covered mountains which act as its backdrop against the sky.
- Raghunath Temple– This temple is devoted to Shri Rama (Hindu Lord) and the inner walls of this temple are covered with gold, on three sides.
- Bahu Fort– This fort is located at the distance of around 5 km from the main city and possibly is the oldest edifice in the Jammu.
- Peer Baba– It is a holy place for Muslim saints and people from all religions comes to pray, especially on Thursday.
- Mubarak Palace– It was constructed with the touch of 3 different styles i.e. Gothic, Mughal and Rajasthani. Sheesh Mahal segment is the most popular part of this Palace is the.
- Chadar Trek– It is the perfect trekking destination. Zanskar River freezes up in Winter and converted into a marvelous adventures trek known as Chadar-The Frozen River Trek.
Where to Stay?
There is no dearth of lodgings, with many inns and hotels which can cater to every budget.
Best Hotels/Resorts in Jammu & Kashmir
- The Grand Mamta
- The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
- Vivanta by Taj – Dal View, Srinagar
- The Vintage Gulmarg
- WelcomHeritage Gurkha Houseboats
- Royal Khazir Boutique
- Hotel Silver Star
- Hotel Pine Spring Wazir Bagh
- Jamal Resorts
- Royal Dandoo Palace of Houseboat
- Almost Heaven Group of House Boats
- Hotel Zahgeer Continental
- Hotel Pine Spring Gulmarg
- The Vintage Gulmarg
Where to Eat?
In Srinagar, you can get a lot of Kashmiri cuisine serving restaurants in addition to the regular ones… have a look!
- Hat trick restaurant
- Mughal Darbar
- Shamyana Restaurant
- Shakti Sweets
- Lhasa Restaurant
- Grand grills restaurant
- Krishna vaishno dhaba
- sakoon the restaurant
- Cafe Robusta
Best Time to Visit Kashmir
Kashmir is all-weather destination but still, the perfect time to visit Kashmir is during from the month of March till October end. Weather conditions during this period are at their best. From December to February, Kashmir wears a beautiful white blanket of snow.
Some brownie points/tips……
- Kashmir has always been a hotbed of political conflict. Though it is considered completely safe for the tourists, it is always good to check the current condition before your travel there.
- Although cottons are okay for summers, don’t forget to carry something warm for the nights and evenings.
- Drink mineral or bottled water only because water related health problems may be occurred due to unhygienic intake of food or water.
- Be careful of purse / chain snatchers, pickpockets who may take the advantage of crowds.
- While credit cards are generally accepted at a number showrooms in the city, it is good to carry sufficient Indian currency.
- It is recommendable to carry basic medications with you, especially the prescription medicines which you might require during your travel.