Essential oils are produced from plants through evaporation or distillation. While essential oils are the most common for their aromatic abilities, they also contain chemical properties that may be beneficial for health.
Essential oils have been used in alternative and homeopathic medicines due to their effectiveness and less risk of side effects.
One benefit essential oils is improving the hair health. Different oils help hair grow and add strength and shine.
Essential oils for your hair
1. Lavender oil
Lavender oil can quicken up hair growth. Lavender oil has properties which can promote the growth of cells and also reduce stress.
It has antibacterial and antimicrobial and properties that can improve scalp health.
Mix few drops of lavender oil into three spoons of carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil, and apply it on the scalp. Leave it for around 10 minutes before washing it and shampooing. You could do this several times per week.
2. Peppermint oil
Peppermint oil could cause a cold, tingling effect when it increases circulation in the area it is applied to. This may help promote the hair growth during anagen or the growing phase.
A study revealed that peppermint oil, when applied on mice, increased the total number of follicle depth, follicles, and overall hair growth.
Mix two drops of peppermint essential oil in the carrier oil. Massage it on the scalp, and then leave on for four minutes before washing thoroughly with conditioner and shampoo.
3. Rosemary oil
If you wish to improve hair thickness and hair growth, this oil is a good choice due to its ability to improve cellular generation.
According to a study, this oil performed and minoxidil, a common hair growth remedy, but with little scalp itching as a side effect.
Mix few drops of rosemary oil with coconut oil or olive, and apply it on your scalp. Leave it for 10 minutes before washing with shampoo. Repeat this twice a week for the best results.
4. Cedarwood oil
Cedarwood essential oil is found to promote hair growth and prevent hair loss by controlling the oil-producing glands on the scalp. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which can be used in the treatment of different conditions which may contribute to hair loss or dandruff.
A mixture of lavender and rosemary, and cedarwood extract was found to reduce the hair in people with alopecia areata.
5. Lemongrass oil
Dandruff could be a common condition, and have a flake-free scalp is an important part of the hair health. Lemongrass oil is an important dandruff treatment, and a study revealing that it reduced dandruff after a week.
Lemongrass oil for reducing dandruff is very effective when applied daily. Mix 10-15 drops into the shampoo or conditioner daily, and make sure it is massaged into the scalp.
Steps for applying vegetable oil
- Wash the hair with a regular shampoo.
- After washing the hair, dry it and now you might go for the vegetable oil treatments.
- Vegetable oils need to be applied on all parts of the hair. After oil is applied from the root to the tip, you must run the fingers through the hair massaging. People can use comb with big bristles and then comb through their hair.
- Then, massage the scalp well, for around 5 minutes.
- Boil fresh me water and then dip a clean towel in it, rinse the excess water and wrap towel around head for some time. The towel must cover the entire hair from tip to root. The steam will enter scalp and the oil would be secreted into the scalp.
- Repeat this for 8-10 times or for about 30 minutes.
- Wash the hair with cold water. Avoid using very hot water for washing the hair as it can cause damage to the hair.
- After washing the hair naturally.
Other vegetable oils for hair growth
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is the best vegetable oil for your hair. It helps in the hair growth and in making the hair thick, long and black.
- Olive oil: It is widely used on the hair for its benefits. This oil has the power to add some extra moisture to the hair as opposed to regular oils, so if you have dry and coarse hair, vegetable oil can be good for your hair.
- Sunflower oil: It is a good vegetable oil for the hair treatment. Vegetable oil is great to cleanse small dust particles that cause dandruff, scalp irritation and hair loss.