Caffeine!! Sounds like a familiar drug, doesn’t it? As a matter of fact, it’s a drug which we consume almost daily. That’s right. Tea and coffee which we consume at least once in a day contain caffeine. Although we consume it daily, we fail to notice many health-related facts about caffeine.
Have you ever wondered why all of us drink tea or coffee? Tea and coffee both possess a significant amount of caffeine. Caffeine is a psycho-stimulant. It acts on your nervous system to remove drowsiness and restore alertness. You wake up in the morning. You won’t all of a sudden rush to the bathroom, brush your teeth, take a shower and get ready. You need something to energize yourself. Tea and coffee both do that job.
Caffeine is also an ingredient of the carbonated drinks like Pepsi and Coke, which we consume quite frequently, especially in summer. Apart from being a constituent of the things we daily consume, caffeine has its effects on our body.
What’s good about caffeine?
- Instant energizer: If you’re working in a reputed office, you’re provided two cups of tea or coffee a day. Have you ever wondered why? This is because tea and coffee both contain caffeine which gives you instant energy. It removes drowsiness and keeps you alert while you’re at work.
- Reduces the risk of liver diseases: People who drink two cups of coffee a day can stay away from the risk of liver diseases.
- Increased muscle strength: Caffeine consumed in optimal amounts acts on the muscles and increases their strength.
- Increased metabolism: Caffeine breaks down the fats and causes the fatty acids to be free. This makes the fat burn and hence increases metabolism.
- Reduces symptoms of asthma: Medical practitioners have found out that asthma patients who consume controlled amounts of caffeine show reduced symptoms.
By telling all these good facts, I’m not asking you to increase your caffeine consumption. Excessive consumption of coffee may cause high blood pressure, anxiety, restlessness, irritability, nausea and many other problems. Better keep your caffeine consumption in check.
Don’t forget- Excess of anything is bad and caffeine is no exception to it!!!
Image Sources — 1