It is a general belief that using henna on the hair is about covering grey hair and providing the locks a youthful look. But this magical herb could do more for your hair. Henna adds beautiful reddish brown color to hair and also controls frizz.
Though there are numerous hair care products available in the market which promise to repair the dry and damaged hair, henna is a safer as well as cost effective alternative to all of these. This article will provide recipes to use henna for the damaged and frizzy hair. Read on to know how to get long and shiny hair.
How to use henna for damaged and frizzy hair
Being a super natural agent, henna could be used on hair by mixing plain water. But, this very basic application of henna is effective in adding an attractive dark brown color to the hair while covering those unwanted grey hair. When it comes to do away with the extreme dry hair that is damaged and frizzy up to some extent, henna powder should be combined with the other natural hair-friendly components. Check out the effective henna recipe for getting healthy and lustrous hair.
1. Ingredients required
- Henna powder – five spoons or any quantity depending on the length of the hair. Try using herbal and organic henna for best result)
- Plain yogurt – three spoons
- Lemon – One large
- Egg – One whole
- Black tea – One cup
- Warm water – as required
2. Method of preparation
- It is usually recommended that you make the henna mix in a small iron bowl as it would help the herb release maximum color. Else, a glass or a plastic bowl will do. Pour the henna powder into the bowl. Add the yogurt and the black tea to powder and keep beating all the ingredients together until a smooth, thick paste is formed.
- Squeeze the juice of lemon into the mixture and blend well. Let the entire concoction stay for 3-4 hours.
- Then, mix the egg properly in a separate bowl. Add it to the mixture. Stir with a steel spoon so that it turns a little slippery.
- Pour warm water into the above mixture and try to get a consistency which will make it fall from the spoon.
3. Method of application
- Put good quality plastic gloves on both the hands and apply the henna mix to the hair. You can even use a dye brush for this purpose.
- Then, divide the hair into small sections and then apply the paste properly. Reach the tips of hair gradually starting from roots and make sure every single hair strand is coated thoroughly.
- Secure the hair into a bun on top of the head and then cover your entire head with a shower cap.
- After 3-4 hours, wash with warm water to find smoother, glowing, and shinier hair.
Hair benefits of other ingredients
Here are the benefits offered by other ingredients used in the recipe:
It is rich in vitamins, proteins, and other nutrients that nourish the hair from inside and also condition it deeply, so repairing the damages and eliminating frizzes.
3. Black tea
Being packed with vitamins and polyphenols, black tea could reverse the hair damages and also protect it from future damages. It also makes frizzy and dry hair softer, shinier, and smoother.
The protein-packed yolk of eggs offers deep moisturization to the hair while the white portion keeps the scalp healthy and clean. This helps provide the damaged hair new life
Fresh lemon juice is a great conditioner for the hair. Therefore, including this in the mixture can help you enhance the damage-repairing properties of henna.
6. Lukewarm water
Using warm water helps henna provide its color in the mixture.
What other ingredients you can use with henna?
Here are some tips to get the most out of henna paste for smoothening and softening the damaged and unruly hair.
1. Nutmeg powder
You can add one spoon of nutmeg powder to henna mixture. The exotic spice could increase the flow of blood to the scalp and also stimulate the hair follicles, which help restore the health and shine of the damaged hair. But, remember to do a patch test before using the nutmeg externally as it can cause a burning sensation.
2. Lavender essential oil
Using 7 to 8 drops of lavender oil in the henna mixture would improve the health of the scalp, so treating a number of hair problems including hair loss, dandruff, etc. This also conditions your fizzy and damaged hair strands and also promote their healthy growth.
3. Herbal hair oil
Adding the herbal hair oil to the henna mixture can enhance its conditioning abilities to a great extent, thereby providing your dry hair a health boost.
Side effects of henna
Though henna is safe to use topically on the hair and skin, it may cause allergy or inflammation of skin in some people. Some serious side effects include itching, hives, redness, burning sensation, swelling, broken skin, scarring, scaling, wheezing, runny nose, asthma, etc. So, it is always advised to do a patch test before applying henna on the hair or skin.