A good intercourse depends a lot on the natural lubrication of the vagina and in the absence of the same the sex may get really painful for both the partners. The vaginal lubricants are produced by the cervical neck and are very crucial for a healthy vagina. The vaginal lubricant helps in protecting the vagina from infections, makes sex more pleasurable and also helps in keeping the vagina clean. The deficiency of the same can create difficulties for both the partners, especially during intercourse.
A lot of reasons may lead to dryness in the vagina, such as hormonal imbalance, the reaction from a drug or medicine or mental stress. All these things may lead to dryness in the vagina.
Today we are going to discuss with you the main reasons which lead to dryness in the vagina along with its symptoms and treatments.
The most common symptoms associated with vaginal dryness are:
- Irritation, itchiness and burning sensation in the vagina
- Dryness in the vagina
- Pain during sexual intercourse
There are several reasons which may lead to vaginal dryness. Let us discuss some of the main reasons in a little detail:
- Burning sensation in the vagina- The vaginal dryness may make your skin super sensitive and thus normal day to day things such as soap, perfume, shampoo, etc. may lead to burning in the vagina. Sometimes even your underwear or towel may also lead to irritation or allergy.
- Hormonal imbalance- The estrogen helps in keeping the vaginal tissues healthy. This hormone also helps in maintaining the lubrication, the pH level and helps in maintaining the elasticity of the vaginal walls. Therefore, when the level of estrogen decreases it vastly affects the lubrication, the pH level and the elasticity of the vagina. But do keep in mind that during delivery, menstruation and breastfeeding, the level of hormone does get decreased. Apart from this if you are getting radiotherapy, chemotherapy or any other such medicine, then you are going to notice a hormonal imbalance.
- Vaginal products- Certain vaginal washes may also be the cause of dryness in the vagina.
- Lack of foreplay- Before indulging in sexual intercourse it is very important to spend some good amount of time on the foreplay as well. The foreplay will ensure that the vagina is lubricated and you won’t have any problem during the intercourse.
- Stress- Stress is also one of the potential reasons for dryness in the vagina.
Treatment for vaginal dryness:
There are a lot of treatment options available which can be used to improve the lubrication in the vagina and get rid of the dryness. But these treatments can be followed only after a thorough examination of the symptoms.
- Estrogen therapy- Those women who are experiencing dryness in the vagina due to the low level of estrogen are prescribed this treatment. Apart from this, there are several creams, skin patches and home remedies that are just as effective in treating this problem.
- Lubricants- Store bought lubricants can be used as a substitute for the natural vaginal lubrication. These lubricants are made of water, silicone and oils and work just fine in the absence of enough vaginal lubricant.
- Moisturizer- Vaginal moisturizers are also a great option to reduce the dryness in the vagina and improve the moisture content of the same.
Home remedies to get rid of vaginal dryness:
- In order to maintain the correct moisture content in the body, it is important to drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
- In a glass of water, add 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds and boil it for 2-3 minutes. Drinking this water on a regular basis will ensure that your body is working properly, plus it also works as an aphrodisiac and improves your sexual desire.
- In order to get rid of vaginal dryness, combine 1 tsp each of aloe vera gel and Ashwagandha, and consume it with warm milk.